Re: Web pages

Subject: Re: Web pages
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:11:06 -0600

Matt Rocketman Ion wrote:
(snip)
>YES! YES! YES! There's nothing more frustrating than waiting five minutes
>for some monstrous 24-bit-color GIF to load just so I can click somewhere and
>be on to the next link. What's even worse is when the ONLY link off the page
>is a huge image map (ie. no text links), and you CAN'T just click on past
>until enough of the image has come in to show you what's what and where.

Amen! I hate that! Besides, I do not trust image maps. (Ever try to
get anywhere from the image map at http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/?)
Page authors: Please include text jumps as well as image hotspots.

>If image file sizes are controlled, one doesn't have to be so sparse with the
>graphics. 8-bit color is more than enough for most images... in fact, I
>expect there are a majority of people out there running Windows in default VGA
>(16-color) mode, so anything over 4-bit images may be wasted on the masses
>(obviously, not all pages cater to the masses). .JPGs are good for larger
>images, but I've seen some pages use them even for bullets, which slows things
>down because they aren't that much smaller than their .GIF counterparts, but
>take longer to decompress.

I did not know this about .gifs and .jpgs. Thanks for the info1

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
STC OK Chapter Imm. Past Pres.
employee of COREComm
My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than little ol' me.