Advice on User's Manual

Subject: Advice on User's Manual
From: Suzanne Pyle <Crow101156 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 18:00:28 -0500

Hi, I have an opportunity to produce a user's manual (about 150 pages) for a
company that makes software and hardware used in hospitality services/
restaurants.

Using engineering specs, the client wants a user's manual done in Microsoft
Word. Currently I work onsite several days a week for another client and
would only be
able to devote so many hours a week to this project, (probably at night and
weekends). My question involves using engineering specs to write the manual.
Have any of you done this before without actually using the
software/hardware?
And if you have, did you also interface with engineers for your questions ?

My concern is that I can do this project *without* having to be onsite. I
haven't actually seen the client yet or the specs/manual, etc. So this is
quite preliminary, but I'd
appreciate any advice you may have about things I should be anticipating
using
engineering specs to write the manual. Thanks, Suzanne