Re: Sexism and Pronouns

Subject: Re: Sexism and Pronouns
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:02:23 -0700

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Marci Andrews wrote:

> English changes. Social upheaval and common usage dictates what the
> language will become. I predict that "they" will evolve to mean the
> singular as well as the plural third person. Any other predictions out
> there?

Hey, I knew that! Honest!

Personal pronouns seem to be almost a wildcard that depend on social
status. What about the royal "we", in addition to my much-maligned
foreign-language examples in a previous posting? I would say that using
the plural to denote a respectful singular is commonplace.

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |
|---> New address as of 1/2/96: gallama -at- uswest -dot- com <---|

/ \
| Note new Jane Bergen-inspired address date |