DOS Screen Capture in a Win 95 DOS Box

Subject: DOS Screen Capture in a Win 95 DOS Box
From: Carl Stieren <stieren -at- DEV -dot- SIMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:36:16 -0500

Thanks to everyone who helped me solve the mystery of how to
capture NetWare server screens for applications such as PCONSOLE
(and other apps written with Cworthy).

Dan Azlin suggested what became the solution: use Paint Shop Pro (shareware,
registerable for $69 and well worth it).

Here's how I solved the problem:

1) Open DOS Window in Win 95
2) Press Alt+PrintScreen
3) OpenPaintShop Pr and paste image as a new file
4) From Image Menu, Choose "Brightness/Contrast" and increase Brightness by
10 and Contrast by 60
5) Save As "Windows Bitmap, RGB"
6) Open this BMP file in Micrografx PhotoMagic
7) Save As "Line Art" BMP file

This allows me a sharp image, which differentiates those lovely dark blues
and greens in Cworthy applications running on a NetWare server. Now I can
put the screen shots in the next version of our REXXWARE Migration Toolkit
User's Guide, Ver. 1.5, even when I'm authoring in MS-Word 6.0
running under Windows 95!

- Carl Stieren
Writer
Simware, Inc.

-------
Carl Stieren, Information Developer
Simware, Inc. // Ottawa, Ontario CANADA email: stieren -at- simware -dot- com

On my own time, I run a Web site for my Quaker meeting.
It's called Peaceweb and can be found at http://www.ottawa.net/~peaceweb/
Peaceweb has resources on nonviolence, international development, and more.

-------