resumes

Subject: resumes
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 16:23:31 -0500

From the Toronto Globe and Mail, Business Section, 2 Jan 96, p. B6

"Get to the point, resume writers are advised. Almost 70 per cent of U.S.
executives surveyed recently say they spend two minutes or less reviewing an
applicant's CV. This insight comes from Accountemps, a big U.S. temping
agency, and is based on a survey of 150 executives of big companies. One tip
from Accountemps: Avoid irrelevant personal information such as your age,
height, weight, marital status or names of children. Hobbies are only useful
if they are directly relevant to the job."

1. Don't blame me for ": A", it's in the original!

2. I can remember applications where I was asked to fill in a form. As far
as I can remember these forms asked for hobbies and all sorts of irrelevant
information. I suspect equal-opportunity laws and Political Correctness have
laid some of them low, but I think that forms of this sort are in some of
the packages of standard business letters on disc/k (or nowadays CD-ROM)
that rogues sell to fools.

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4