testing for certification

Subject: testing for certification
From: Mike Stiles <mstiles -at- CYMBAL -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 14:12:53 -0800

My 2 cents worth on this issue:
A long time ago, my employer wanted me to sell homeowner's insurance, so
he sent me to a "school" to pass the certification test. We were taught to
cover the questions and look for key words in the answers. If one of the
choices had the word "fire", that was the correct answer. If one of the
choices had the number 2400, that was the correct choice. And on and on. We
were given 2 hours for the test, I was finished in 10 minutes.

I was also a "certified" arborist. It always amazed me how many studied
to pass the certification test, and then immediately went back to
ruining trees, like they had for the past 20 years.

Many times, ANY yahoo can pass a test. I am living proof of that :)
The question is: So what?

Thanks for your time,

Mike Stiles
mstiles -at- oboe -dot- calpoly -dot- edu