Hobbys (and other stuff) on resumes

Subject: Hobbys (and other stuff) on resumes
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 10:26:00 +0100

Hello Tracy,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von TRACY BOYINGTON an All am 02.01.96

TB> From: TRACY BOYINGTON <trlyboyi -at- genesis -dot- odvte -dot- state -dot- ok -dot- us>

TB> I originally wrote:
TB>
TB> > TB> There are instances, of course, where your hobby actually
TB> does
TB> > TB> pertain to the job you apply for.

TB> and Alexander von Obert replied:
TB>
TB> > I would surely not mention a hobby like collecting playing
TB> cards. But there
TB> > are hobbies that ARE important. Take me as an example:

TB> To which I reply: it depends. As an employer, will any of these
TB> skills benefit *me*? If so, by all means keep them on your
TB> resume.

Surely!

TB> But if I'm hiring you to edit a medical textbook or write an
TB> instruction sheet on how to put a bookshelf together, your
TB> amateur radio experience does not add any value.

For one thing you are right. The other thing: I would not apply for a job that
is far away from my area of competence.

...but "area of competence" can mean different things. E.g. I am an
electronics engineer who happend to do several online documentation projects.
This enables me to do consulting on online documentation. I would not _write_
documentation for an accounting package, but I can show people doing it how to
write it, how to interface to the programmers, how to organize their work and
texts and so on.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander