Re: WinHelp 95 help approach

Subject: Re: WinHelp 95 help approach
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 21:49:34 GMT

In article <m0te2Qh-00032rC -at- iquest -dot- net>, Tim Altom <taltom -at- iquest -dot- net> wrote:
[snip most of Tim's article]

>Anybody got input on when the minimalist approach should be minimized?

Anything that is used for training. I had a friend who knew all the
short cuts (back in the good old days when you programmed using edlin in
DOS) but he always showed people the "long cuts" because he felt that
they needed to understand what they were actually doing before the short
cut made sense. I tend to agree with you that a wordy help file is
frustrating.

We don't necessarily deal w/ "help files" in our procedures, but we do
have emergency/alarm response procedures that have an extremely
specialized format with just enough detail to get the system under
control. These procedures are a case where the minimalist approach works
very well.

Nancy Lynn Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov) Carpe Diem
Seize the Day!