Why we will still need paper documentation

Subject: Why we will still need paper documentation
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 11:13:35 -0800

Charles good recently made a good case for continuing to
publish paper documents in some cases: when your customer
demands it.

When the federal government isn't shutdown, I work in a
very high-tech environment for the EPA's National Environmental
Supercomputing Center (NESC). I produced the NESC's latest
annual report on the Web and I've made presentations and given
demos to the EPA on the virtues of the Web. However, I still
produce several paper manuals and will continue to do so. These
manuals contain procedures describing such things as

1. How to respond if either of the Cray supercomputers
crashes.

2. How to respond to a power failure.

3. How two respond to specific natural and
man-made disasters, such as floods, chemical
spills, and explosions.

Gotta have the durable paper thing... ;-)

-Mike
--

Michael Andrew Uhl, Lead Technical Writer (uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin, Primary Support Contractor to US EPA