Docs for internal users

Subject: Docs for internal users
From: Angela Howard <angela -at- NAVISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:23:29 -0800

Do any of you write documentation only for internal users and not for
external customers? How do you do it differently? I know, I know: they
both need the same information, so there's not really a difference in what
you should give them. However, from the company's standpoint, they are not
about to put out big bucks for high-quality printed docs because no one is
really "buying" the product. Specifically, this software will be used only
by an internal group of people who work at a different location (in a
different state) than the developers and writers.

How do you give them the same quality of information yet keep the costs down?
Do you forego the documentation and just give the people a training class
when you get done? (Is a training manual less costly to write?) Do you
write the same kind of documentation but print it in a cheaper format, such
as 3-hole
punched 8 1/2" x 11" paper in 3-ring binders rather than glossy, perfect-bound
7" x 9" books? Do you only offer the documentation online to save any
printing costs? I'm interested to hear how other people have done this,
because it's a new situation for me.

Angela M. Howard, Technical Writer /\ /\ /\ | |
NaviSoft, Inc. (805)882-2350 x126 /--\ / \ / \ |----|
angela -at- navisoft -dot- com / \/ \/ \| |