Re: personal business

Subject: Re: personal business
From: Benjamin Milstead <guilden -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:00:59 -0500

Mr. Bachison writes:

I kind of like being sucked into the personal battles of others. Maybe =
I am
powerless to help them, but at least I feel that I am
dealing with real human beings when I read their emotional outbursts =
(and I
find that oddly comforting).

At the risk of being flamed, I agree with Mr. Bachison. Just because =
our livelihoods revolve around a computer doesn't mean this communal =
dialogue has to be binary. IMHO, I don't see how we can separate =
"professional discussion" from "personal battles," as long as we remain =
in context, which Mr. Kent and others have done.

I understand Ms. Tholen's point-of-view, but we're humans, not vulcans. =
While the logical thing to do may be to keep emotion out of the mix, =
it's more removed from reality and it's less interesting; it's less of a =
learning experience, it's more boring. To paraphrase :), logic is only =
the beginning of understanding, not the end. =20

Emotion/intellect, style/substance, content/delivery--aren't these the =
dichotomies that account for our existence?

Cheers,
Ben Milstead

specialization is for insects--l.long =20

=20