Re: HTML Editors

Subject: Re: HTML Editors
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:51:00 EST

At 09:29 AM 3/6/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Morning all,

>Has anyone used the Internet Publisher add on for WordPerfect? It seems very
>cumbersome to me. Am I missing something?

>It does not allow you to edit HTML docs...you can only export to HTML. I
>hesitate to tell the WP users around here to use the thing.
>One of the things that make the HTML appealing is that anyone with an editor
>can retreive and edit an HTML formatted file making the inconsistant
>platform problems go away.

>We are in the first phase of converting our ISO documentation to HTML to
>view with Netscape. The files are all in WordPerfect now. I suppose we could
>save them in ascii text and use some other editor to code the HTML.

>Has anyone ever used Hotdog?
>Have you found any other HTML editors that are incredibly intuitive?

>Thanks
>Sue
>srk -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com

I use HotDog and I dearly love the thing. There are no editors that are
incredibly intuitive, because HTML isn't intuitive.

Why would you elect to put your ISO docs into HTML and view with Netscape,
when a)that lets people save your doc locally, something you definitely
don't want to do in an ISO environment, and b)limits your layout options?
Why not go with Acrobat or something similar that can't be messed with and
maintains formatting?

If you're determined to go HTML, I'd save each document as a text file,
because HTML won't give you layout control anyway, and then pull each one
into HotDog for tagging. Of course, if you want to, you can just save each
document as a text file, then open it and insert the darned HTML tags in the
ASCII file. It's not that hard to do, and that's all HTML really is anyway,
just tagged ASCII. When you're looking at an HTML file in HotDog, you're
looking at an ASCII file. HotDog does make it easier to load and test, though.

Tim Altom
Vice President
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice)