Re: HTML Editors

Subject: Re: HTML Editors
From: David Sherwood <cca18 -at- CC -dot- KEELE -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:19:05 +0000

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:29:07 -0800 Susan Kloster <srk -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
wrote:
>Morning all,

>Has anyone used the Internet Publisher add on for WordPerfect? It
seems very
>cumbersome to me. Am I missing something?

>It does not allow you to edit HTML docs...

In my experience, WPIP works well doing what it was meant for - letting
you produce simple HTML without knowing too much about it, or letting
you keep paper and on-line versions of the same basic document in step.
You are supposed to work with the WP doc all the time, and regenerate
the HTML version whenever you make a change.

If you want to tinker with the HTML, run your existing docs through
WPIP and then read the generated HTML version into any of the well
known HTML editors - all the ones I've tried have been good. Once you
do this, your on-line version gets out of step with the paper version,
of course.

One tip: Before reading an existing doc into the WPIP template, change
the names of any styles you have used to the names of the corresponding
styles provided in the template (sub sub heading etc). These styles are
what give rise to the HTML tags when you write out the file and you
don't have to do anything else to get the right tags.

I notice someone else recommended Acrobat instead. See other thread for
more opinions on Acrobat v. HTML. However, I'll also mention ENVOY -
you probably have this already if you bought Perfect Office. It does
roughly the same thing as Acrobat. All you would have to do then is
print the existing WP docs to the Envoy driver (which puts them in
files for you to install wherever they need to be).

David Sherwood
Computer Centre
Keele University