Re: Requesting Posting Courtesy

Subject: Re: Requesting Posting Courtesy
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 07:22:44 -0800

>Some of us don't have a choice as to which email reader to use, nor can we
>configure it to suit our needs when it resides on a corporate network. Is
>it to much to ask that senders include their email addresses in the body of
>their messages?

No, it's not too much to ask. I'm aware of the problem, and I include that
information in my signature file. (Unfortunately, in one of my recent
rearrangements of my signature file I tucked it so far into a corner that
one person who was looking for it didn't see it.)

However, if you're angry about the situation, why not direct your anger
toward the person who controls the solution: your system administrator. Of
course I realize that some of the people complaining don't even know the
source of the problem. In cases like that, asking about the problem is
preferable to offering workarounds.

Lecturing your fellow list members about "courtesy" is neither the most
appropriate channel for your anger nor the most effective way to address the
problem. Just as you complain about not being able to see headers, other
list members may not be able to use signature files.

Even if everyone on the list today put their email addresses into the bodies
of their messages, someone would join tomorrow who didn't know about the
inadequacies of your email reader. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
srm -at- c2 -dot- org Copyright 1996 Review Editor, IEEE Micro
http://www.c2.org/~srm/ All rights reserved President, Berkeley STC