Re: sanity check--please!!

Subject: Re: sanity check--please!!
From: Linda McRae <lmcrae -at- NETOPIA -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 23:00:23 -0600

John Hedtke <jhedtke -at- OZ -dot- NET> wrote:

>Janet:

>Having worked in a whole lotta companies both as a freelancer and a
>captive, it's my opinion that you ought to look for a better job.

>This modus operandi is far too typical, but it's not the rule (even if
>reading "Dilbert" will make one think otherwise sometimes). You're
>not getting valued for anything you're doing, they tend to be
>firefighters, and they're already showing their true colors by blaming
>you for their own ineptitude. It's likely going to get worse when
>they have to actually deliver whatever solution they're going to try
>to come up with.

>You probably won't be able to educate them out of this, because the
>whole company is built on this basis (firefighting/fear/fuddling).
>Just figure that managers like this are the reason that God gave us
>middle fingers, and move on down the road.

>Anyone else share this opinion?

I totally agree!

I have worked the past 1.5 years as a contractor for a large corporation who
does realize the value of, and does takes the work of technical writers
seriously. I've also worked for other companies

* whose employees were unwilling to help (that's not my job syndrome), or

* whose method of operation was to promise the customer anything at all
without consulting the writer who actually has to do the work; when the
expectations are not met, the writer is penalized (usually financially for
us contractors).

Believe you me ... that kind of stress is just not worth it. Move on girl!

Linda McRae
lmcrae -at- netopia -dot- on -dot- ca

Accu-Write Documentation Services
@ Barrie, Ontario, Canada