[no subject]

From: SUZANNE PYLE <comline -at- STAR -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 10:14:43 -0500

Win writes:

>I still find the field fascinating. I've been writing for a long time, but
>freelancing for three years now. One of the great benefits of freelancing
>is you have the opportunity to work on many different kinds of documents in
>different industries. I've never had the chance to get bored!

>I'm also working towards a certificate in Tech Writing. Attending the
>courses has helped me brush up on the skills I use every day, and taught me
>all kinds of new tricks and methods.

>I wish I had enough time to pursue all the areas in tech communication I'm
>interested in. I've yet to work on WinHelp, or with HTML, or SGML. All
>_kinds_ of new things to learn!

Win, I agree with you. I've been freelancing for 4+ years and totally enjoy
it! You gain so much more experience by working with a variety of clients
instead
of staying in just one environment. I'm also working on my certificate, but
find it sometimes a bit boring...only because I'm already doing some of the
stuff we're working on 40 hours a week, so to learn it or have it reinforced
again at a night class sometimes takes a second wind.

And yes, I'm trying to learn Winhelp on my own, using some good books like
Developing Online Help for Windows by Sams; and for HTML, I like Laura Lemay's
latest book on HTML 3.0. These are all things as a freelancer that are
rewarding....not sure I'd pursue all this if I was a 9-5'er.....Suzanne