Manufacturing Manual Advise

Subject: Manufacturing Manual Advise
From: Greg Moser <76462 -dot- 2004 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:21:15 GMT

SUB TECHWR-L Greg Moser

I am working in Wichita, Kansas with Raytheon Aircraft as a Manufacturing Engineer
on the JPATS (Joint Primary Aircraft Training System) airplane. Basically, I have a task of
writing a manual that will be submitted to the US Government to fulfill a contract requirement.
My challenge is this:

Based on some selected topics, go through a few of the manuals and procedures in
the company on each topic and determine the important items for reference.
Since I have never written a manual of this type before I was wondering if someone could
give me some advice on how to put one together? The company has some guidelines
on how they want it, however I am running into "Writer?s Block" in determining what
information is important and what isn?t from all the manuals and procedures.
Also, how do I avoid the problem of dual documentation, since I am quoting
directly from internal documents and those documents are updated occasionally
and mine may not. Either that or there will be a problem of tracing all of these documents
to their writers, etc. Anyway, I was wondering if you can provide me with solutions as to
how you yourself would approach this. In addition, I have access to the Internet if you are
aware of pointers or Home Pages on the Internet where I can get information on Manufacturing
Manual or about "dual documentation" issues I would like to hear about it.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you in the future.

Greg Moser
Wichita, Kansas
E-MAIL (COMPUSERVE) 76462 -dot- 2004 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM
e-mail: INTERNET ~ MOSER -dot- G -dot- 192974 -at- ASQCNET -dot- ORG