Re: Internet Usage by Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Internet Usage by Tech Writers
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:29:55 -0800

Mark 2 Merkow (?) writes:

>I'm interested in finding out the ways writers (especially technical writers)
>are using the Internet. I see references on this list for other listservs from
>time to time, but little else.

I'm a freelance tech + marcom writer. I also teach tech writing at a local
college from time to time. I use the Internet as an e-mail medium probably
90% of the time. I communicate with clients as far away as Quebec; almost
all of my clients are happy to accept delivery of in the form of e-mail
attachments. To tell the truth, I do try to deliver final copy in person,
just to make personal contact with my clients.

I've done a couple of WWW research projects for clients as well.

I don't want to over-sell the Internet. The research material can be
helpful but it takes a lot of work to extract the substance from the fluff,
and even then what I find isn't quotable in a bibliography. Not all of my
clients want that, though.

That's my experience. Overall the net means I've saved money and time (on
couriers and visits to the library), and picked up clients who would never
have hired me otherwise.

Eric Brown
869 Drayton Street
North Vancouver BC V7L 2C2