Re: The Little Engine that Could (was Re: Scorned Feminists)

Subject: Re: The Little Engine that Could (was Re: Scorned Feminists)
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:50:15 PST

>The thread on the little engine that could reminds me of another
>children's story that is lost forever to Political Correctness. Does
>anyone on the group remember "Little Black Sambo"? Does anyone remember
>the pancake house chain of restaurants based on the story? I found this
>story in an antique store and it's going for thirty dollars. Nothing like
>banning something to increase its value. Of course I could be
>remembering wrong, but I have no idea what the PC nuts found
>objectionable in that story. Sambo was the =protagonist= at least in the
>version I remember.

I have a copy. It's a wonderful little story. I don't know what
the fuss was about. Why a story about a little boy in India would
even draw the attention of American blacks is beyond me. He certainly
doesn't do anything discreditable in the story. I'm baffled.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139