Re: User Centered Data

Subject: Re: User Centered Data
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 11:38:46 -0800

At 10:25 AM 3/28/96 -0800, CARYN_RIZELL -at- hp-roseville-om2 -dot- om -dot- hp -dot- com wrote:
>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
> Sue Gallagher wrote about the guidelines she endorses for writing
> user-centered documentation.

> Sue, did you do research on these? I really liked your basic ideas.

> If you did do some research, could you elaborate on it? I think it is
> very useful stuff.

Some of the information comes from my own usability testing.
Some of the information comes from:
various newsletters, such as Jared Spool's UIETips
(highly recommended, BTW)
the utest list
conversations with other usability professionals
(e.g., Kent Sullivan @ Microsoft)

One of the problems in researching usability issues that relate to
ever-changing technology is that there is no (or very little source
material. Much of the information is either empirical evidence or
word-of-mouth. By the time the information hits the bookshelves,
it's old news.

It's certainly a field that takes a lot of energy to keep up with,
but I feel it's worth it because of the positive effect on my end-
product.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com