Re: surveys

Subject: Re: surveys
From: Frederick Falk <ftf -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:57:11 +0000

Gwen Barnes stated...

> Written surveys, perhaps. But there has to be a reason for customers to
> spend the time filling out and returning the survey, or the "average"
> ones won't bother. You'll only hear from the ones on the edge otherwise
> -- they're either overcome with joy or they want to hate you to death. I
> think the "average" customer's reaction is a lot harder to get, and is
> probably much more important.

I recall a computer survey given out by a computer paper that was produced
weekly (I think it was Computerworld) and this survey, which was a
large piece of paper folded in half to 8 1/2 X 11 with writing on all four
sides, had simple questions where I checked a box or entered a range. I was
also given space at the end to elaborate on them if I wanted to. I was also
given a return envelope with the return address and "no postage necessary"
box where a stamp would go. All of this is well and good, but the one
thing that compelled me to fill out the form and return it each year was
that inside the cover letter explaining the survey was a crisp one dollar
bill given to me for taking the time out of my busy schedule to fill out
their survey. Now I am sure there were those that kept the money and didn't
return the survey, but I know how it made me feel. If you make it easy for
me to fill out, and it doesn't cost me anything to send it back, and I get
a gift (no questions asked) on top of that, I will be more than happy to
fill out the survey. Maybe that is just me, but I would be interested in
finding out from the group if the above happened to you, would you fill
out the survey and return it?
--
Frederick "Magic Fingers" Falk
ftf -at- abmdata -dot- com