Re: greatest good?

Subject: Re: greatest good?
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:06:46 HST

I don't think that the "greatest good for the greatest number" does the
"greatest good" for any of the "number".

I think the *user* should decide what goes into the document in his or her
hands. To (probably misquote) Edmond Weiss, "It is a fallacy to think that
there is only one manual. There are as many manuals as there are audiences."

In the world of paper docs, practicing this can be difficult and expensive. In
the world of online docs, individual users should be able to customize their
online help to include the information they need to know without having to wade
through information they don't need to know.

Then, again, the best documentation I've seen in the last two weeks wasn't even
documentation -- it was some simple stencilled labels on PC boards, identifying
each jumper, what it did, and what the factory default setting was ...

JFOA. Agreements/rebuttals welcome. HAND!

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net