Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Allison Johnson <Alliejon -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:59:09 -0400

In a message dated 96-07-30 19:39:21 EDT, MarcusSTC -at- AOL -dot- COM writes:

>1. For those in favor of certification, what would you support certifying?
>Writing skills? Tools-related skills? Or technical comprehension in a
>specific arena (such as medical technical writing)?

Because the interests and available jobs for technical communicators is so
varied, I think it would be good to have varying degrees of certification.
Writing skills, tools-related skills, and technical comprehension as well as
project management, people management, editing, and instructional design...
The possibilities seem endless, as is our field!!

>2. What would serve as the governing body for such a program?

Obviously STC should have huge say in this. I also think that educational
programs and corporate communicators should be involved in setting the
standards.