Re: Portfolios?

Subject: Re: Portfolios?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 21:53:16 PDT

>Speaking of portfolios, what do people use to present the information?
>Artist's portfolios aren't the right size.

Artists' portfolios are designed to keep your prospective clients'
grubby fingers off your artwork. It's difficult to read such samples.

To the extent that I use samples, I carry around my spiffiest-looking
documents in a folder that was designed in a department I managed.
Behind the glitzy stuff are photocopies of good stuff I wrote. I
wave around the color stuff and leave the photocopies behind.

Fortunately for my back, I spent some time specializing in technical
overviews (which we often printed both as stand-alone documents and
as chapter 1 of a data book), so I had many smallish samples.

I do not recommend dragging six-foot shelves of manuals around with
you. Bring a few representative pages, and, if you insist, a photo
of you standing next to the enormous stack of manuals. There's
less risk of killing a client by having your samples crush him to
death that way.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139