Color of Ink (Was: Editing comments too harsh?)

Subject: Color of Ink (Was: Editing comments too harsh?)
From: Chuck Beck <cbeck -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:43:25 -0400

Hi all,

I agree with Eric's assessment and use of ink color, and furthermore, I
believe the psychological research does as well (though I can't point to or
quote a source to confirm that). I wonder if Mr. Luscher has done any study
on this particular use of color?

I use green ink for all the same reasons, besides which, green tends to show
up more easily and be more easily spotted while scanning a document than
purple (which I have also used on occasion). Green also implies a subtle
psychologic "go signal" or the idea of things growing, etc., which can help
influence interperson relations in a positive direction. BTW, orange can
also work well.

"Is this important to technical communicators?" I ask myself. I think so.
Especially for those who are involved in editing others' work in any way,
shape, or form.

FWIW,
Chas.Beck
cbeck -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu