Re: Fittting text into a HTML page?

Subject: Re: Fittting text into a HTML page?
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 15:39:34 -0700

With regards to Michael Little's question....

>Is there some way of setting up a standard page size as part of a
>HTML style sheet, so it fit the text into the page? If the text is
>larger than the page size I have defined, It would automatically
>generate a new HTML page?

No. Users's can control text area (making the screen larger), fonts
and point sizes anyway, so trying this may be an exercise in futility.

Another problem is screen size - that is, the more resolution a
user's screen provides, the larger their text area. Or maybe they
just have a mondo screen.

What you'd have to do is build a Java script to test a user's
initial conditions before loading the HTML. So now you run into
a security issue. Do users really want a Java script running
around their computer doing god-knows-what?

I like the way you're thinking, though. If you keep moving
away from paper towards Internet concepts, then you're likely
to find more answers to your questions.

> How much programming is involved?

Lots. But don't let that stop you.....

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus