Re[2]: Proper Webs

Subject: Re[2]: Proper Webs
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:48:23 GMT

I have to disagree. You are describing a radio receiver, not radio.
(strange how that particular device has had so many names. They were
wireless set, wireless, radio receiver, transistor radio, transistor, but
not quite just 'radio' were they?)

I thought that the issue about whether it is the web or Web was a simple
one - a web browser, The Web, but I'm not so sure now.

The nearest analogy to the I/internet and W/web I can think of is
telephones. We use telephones, but they are all connected together in the
telephone system, not The Telephone System, even though there is only one
global phone system.

Doe we therefore use web browsers all connected together in the web? After
all radio signals go through the ether, even though there is only one
ether.

Is it because the W/web is a human artifact, rather than a natural
phenomenon? Probably not, because The Atlantic gets the big A, but the
sewerage system doesn't get initial capitals.

Iain

Surfing across the Atlantic using the telephone system ...