Re: SGML Books

Subject: Re: SGML Books
From: Cameron Laird <claird -at- STARBASE -dot- NEOSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 09:32:49 -0500

In article <526h01$iis -at- dismay -dot- ucs -dot- indiana -dot- edu>,
John Fieber <jfieber -at- indiana -dot- edu> wrote:
.
.
.
>read and understand existing DTDs. The authors also treat SGML as a
>technology that exists in an organizational and technological
>context, rather than isolated, as so many other beginning guides do.
.
.
.
I'm ready to launch into a sermon--or tirade--on that
last text. What *is* it with authors that write about
technologies "in isolation", as Mr. Fieber describes
it here? I can think of no instance--not even a formal
standard--where that is excusable.

Whew! I've calmed down a bit. Excuse this interrup-
tion, please--except for you authors; from you, I want
usage, I want benefits, advantages, I want context, I
want MEANING.
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird -at- NeoSoft -dot- com +1 713 623 8000 #227