Re: Robohelp vs. HDK

Subject: Re: Robohelp vs. HDK
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 17:16:48 -0700

At 06:34 PM 10/1/96 GMT, Steve Fouts wrote:

>My single biggest complaint about Robohelp was that it required MS Word.
[snip all the apps he runs besides]
>We've pretty much switched to ForeHelp.

Funny, my biggest complaint about ForeHelp was that it
*didn't* require MS Word. I found the editing capabilities
cobby, the lack of explicit save disconcerting (did they
fix that yet?), and the inability to bypass the dialog
boxes (for example, to edit footnotes directly for repetitive
macros, etc.) really slowed me down. I also prefer the ability
to see more than one topic at a time and to control the order
of topics in the file. That helps me visualize the help file
better than all the cool navigation and charting tools that
ForeHelp provides.

Bottom line is, all help authoring tools produce the same
results, so buy the one that suits your work style. If you
want WYSIWYG and "user-friendly", go with something like
ForeHelp. If you'd rather tinker under the hood, get a
tool like RoboHelp.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.