Window "panes" - a better term?

Subject: Window "panes" - a better term?
From: Beth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:30:27 MTN

Hello tech writers,

The Microsoft tech pubs style book says when you have to refer to the
separate parts of a split window, you should call them "panes." This
is not a term my company has generally used. We've usually referred to
the part of the window by its name (sometimes pointing out which side
of the window it's on), and we have sometimes called them fields, etc.

But now we're producing a new software product whose main window has a
particularly distinct division between the upper and lower halves. The
engineers are already referring to them as panes. I find this term to
be user-unfriendly (and just plain painful) and would like to see it
kept out of the docs, if possible.

I understand it's becoming common on the Internet to refer to these
window parts as "frames." However, some people think that's no more
intuitive or friendly than panes. Does anyone have any better ideas?

Please post all replies straight to me and I'll summarize them for
the list with panes in the subject line. THANKS,

Beth Kane (formerly Staats)
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com

Previous by Author: Followup to "TWs get no respect"
Next by Author: Window "pane" comments
Previous by Thread: Re: Window "panes" - a better term?
Next by Thread: Re: Window "panes" - a better term?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads