Online strategy: who should define?

Subject: Online strategy: who should define?
From: Karen Otto <KAREN_OTTO -at- HP-SPOKANE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 08:53:06 -0600

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
We are about to enter into a roles discussion about who should lead
our online strategy development.

We are doing online products based on a strategy developed about a
year ago. We know there is a need to continue to develop our strategy.
However, we have a disagreement about who should lead the development.
Both Graphic Designers and Technical Writers feel they should lead
this development.

All aspects of online are open to the strategy: presentation, what
documents should be served, servers, navigation, what an online
document should contain, and so on.

My question to you is: Do you believe that such a strategy should be
led by just one of the two roles? The two persons in each group who
have the most motivation towards developing a strategy have a very
hard time being successful working together, although both are trying.
Which role should have this task?

thanks,

karen

karen_otto -at- hp -dot- com