Up and down thing

Subject: Up and down thing
From: Paul David Marvel <marvel -at- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 09:11:46 -0400

Whirlers:

Any ideas about what to call the "logical or" symbol on the keyboard--the
up-and-down thing that usually resides above the front slash? My audience
will not understand "logical or" and a casual test of "up-and-down thing"
resulted in my colleagues pointing to the arrow keys and exclaiming that
such a term is not worthy of our docs.

We also thought of using "shift + front slash," but I'm not sure the users
will differentiate front and back slashes. We are also not sure if the
up-and-down thing is above the front slash on all keyboards. Is it?

TIA,

-paul

Paul D. Marvel marvel -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu