Re: Up and down thing

Subject: Re: Up and down thing
From: "Karl A. Hakkarainen" <karlh -at- AUGGIE -dot- AUGMENT-SYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 09:19:18 -0400

We've typically called "|" a vertical bar, sometimes a vbar in code.


At 09:11 AM 10/5/96 -0400, Paul David Marvel wrote:

>Any ideas about what to call the "logical or" symbol on the keyboard--the
>up-and-down thing that usually resides above the front slash? My audience
>will not understand "logical or" and a casual test of "up-and-down thing"
>resulted in my colleagues pointing to the arrow keys and exclaiming that
>such a term is not worthy of our docs.

>We also thought of using "shift + front slash," but I'm not sure the users
>will differentiate front and back slashes. We are also not sure if the
>up-and-down thing is above the front slash on all keyboards. Is it?



>Paul D. Marvel marvel -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu

Karl A. Hakkarainen Technical Documentation Manager
Augment Systems, Inc. 508 392-8626 (voice)
Westford MA 01886 508 392-8636 (fax)

Previous by Author: Re: Word 7: Is it a hog?
Next by Author: Re: How to treat doc errata?
Previous by Thread: Up and down thing
Next by Thread: Re: Up and down thing

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads