Re: Relevance of Java to TWers?

Subject: Re: Relevance of Java to TWers?
From: Michael John Little <hypercom -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:55:08 +1000

Hello Majan, Chuck,
I read your email with interest, as I am currently developing a Java
training course. Like you, I am a technical communicator. I have included
my comments amongst yours.

----------
> From: Marjan Bace <maba -at- MANNING -dot- COM>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Re: Relevance of Java to TWers?
> Date: Friday, 25 October 1996 5:29

> At 10:15 AM 10/24/96, Chuck Beck wrote:
> >Esteemed colleagues:
> >
> >In preparing to do a presentation at an upcoming STC regional
conference, I
> >am grappling with the question of how Java is likely to impact on our
lives
> >and careers as technical communicators.

If we are writing stock standard users manuals for software products, and
we don't have to look under the hood, then not a great deal. Perhaps for
software companies it means that the operating system becomes irrelevant,
so they will be able to better focus their software development onto one
product, instead of developing in parallel a product for Windows, MacOS,
and all the different variants of UNIX. It creates a tremendous level
playing field, so you could really see how fast CorelDraw runs on WinTel,
MacOS/PowerPC, or a Sun Solaris...

> >This presentation will be a basic overview of what Java and JavaScript
are,
> >give some current examples of how they are being used on the WWW, and
throw
> >out some thoughts about how this new techology will likely affect us,
> >specifically, as technical communicators.

For TWers, if we want to be content providers for the WWW?which is a
logical extension of developing online documentation?then at the moment you
need to know program in Java, and JavaScript. It will have a greater impact
for the programmers because it will run on ANYTHING!...toasters, washing
machines, faxes, mobile phones...if the microcontroller the Java Virtual
Machine, then you can write a Java application for it. For TWers writing
engineering documentation, that they will see a change, because my
prediction, in two years people will be writing code in Java, not C++

> >I have some ideas of my own, but it occurred to me that this
presentation
> >would be even more effective if I could offer insights others may be
able to
> >offer. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you would care to share
with
> >me (especially if you have any personal experience with Java or
JavaScript),
> >and I will be more than happy to give public credit where credit is due,
if
> >I use your input as part of the presentation.

>Cheers!
MIchael John Little
Sine Timore, Per Ardua Ad Astra!

Hyper Communications
Knowledge is Power, yet True Power is Communicating Knowledge

1/36 Lusher Road Croydon Victoria Australia
Tel. (61) 015 886 190 Fax. 613 9722 9668
Email: hypercom -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au
WWW: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hypercom/index.htm