Re[7]: Killer Language

Subject: Re[7]: Killer Language
From: Steve Evanina <Steve -dot- Evanina -at- SCIATL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:21:00 -0500

Iain,

I know so. I've been documenting hardware for >15 years. How much
hardware do u document? At motorola the parts list identifies plugs as
having pins to avoid confusion when ordering a replacement part.

I am looking at an IOtech IEEE 488 & Data Acquisition Catalog. The
Accessories show DB25 cables. The cables are identified as male or
female. I can see the ends of the cables in the pictures. Males have
pins and females have holes. The boards that they sell have DB25 and
DB36 connectors. In the specs they are identified as male. I can see
the pins in the picture. This is irrespective of the shell
configuration.

I received the following from Amp, a connector manufacturer:

*** Reply to note of 11/14/96 11:42
PRODUCT INFORMATION CENTER
MAIL STOP 038-03 FAX NO. 717-986-7575

ssw:
to steve evanina = steve -dot- evanina -at- sciatl -dot- com ssw:

Identification of the sex of a connector can vary. The side with the
pins is male and the side with socket contacts would be female. Using
"male" and "female" is sometimes considered "politically incorrect."
In most cases we
say either plug and receptacle housing or plug and jack. Something
like that can keep you from offending anyone.

steve -dot- evanina -at- sciatl -dot- com

Subject: Re[6]: Killer Language
Author: iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk at PMDF
Date: 11/14/96 9:46 AM

I don't think so. Check out your electronics catalogues.

Iain

Subject: Re[5]: Killer Language
Author: Steve -dot- Evanina -at- Sciatl -dot- COM at internet
Date: 14/11/96 14:43

--Boundary (ID 11zXh4yz3hGrpborc3uyQw)

Iain,

Power has nothing to do with a plug. A plug has pins, a socket has
holes. You're thinking of the shell, which has nothing to do with the
sex of a connector.

steve -dot- evanina -at- sciatl -dot- com

Delivery-receipt-to: iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:46:11 +0000 (gmt)
From: iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk