Ebola virus

Subject: Ebola virus
From: Gabriel Reedy <greedy -at- NMO -dot- GTEGSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:19:21 -0800

OK. Wait a minute. We all speak and write non-standard English. All the time.
As a native of Georgia, there are times when I specifically make an effort to
avoid my accent; I know that the standard American English is more appropriate
for some circumstances. Other times, whether I'm with friends or family, I
lapse into the beauty and fullness of that dialect.

The goal of education is to make available both the skills necessary to use
standard American English and the discretion to know when said usage is
appropriate.

Apparently our educational establishment is trying to be dynamic and is
attempting to change to meet the needs of students--all kinds of students.
Kudos to the forward thinking educators who attempt such an endeavor.

Is it separatist and racist? I'm not going to even try to answer those
questions. But if we can teach kids these two things, great. And if it takes a
specific study of the linguistics of the African-American English dialect for
students to learn, appreciate, and practice the difference between the two
forms, great!

PS-Right on, Tony...

--
Gabriel Reedy, Technical Writer
GTE Network Management..206-487-8461.|Home:..206-441-0661