writers to programmers ratio

Subject: writers to programmers ratio
From: amram <hakohen -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:36:56 +0200

What is the optimal ratio of TWs to engineering staff?
There's a firm interested in my services, that currently
has not TWs on staff. They number about 20 all together.
My guess is that 60% of them are programmers. The product
(a rather complex tool for internet programming)
is due to be released in six months. No real documentation
exists. I suggested that they hire two TWs (me and my buddy).
They responded, "uh, don't think so...too much money. How
'bout just you?"

Is this a recipie for disaster or what?

My instincts say, jog away from this one, 'casue these guys
don't have a clue vis-a-vis the doc. process. I would like to
cite to the head honcho of this outfit, some official-type
stats re writers to programmers. Any ideas? A search of
Michael Krigman's database yielded nothing.