Re: Cross-platform files and e-mail

Subject: Re: Cross-platform files and e-mail
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:54:00 -0600

We need contractors creating files on Macs to be able to send Mac
files as e-mail attachments to our PCs (which are the only computers
that have e-mail access) where we can download them to diskette
and then use them on our Macs. This isn't working for some reason,
and some people think it's impossible. Is it? If you're doing this
successfully, can you give me any tips (encoding, etc.)?

"Some people" also think the world is a disc balanced on the backs of
turtles. Both groups have about the same chance of being correct. ;{>}

It's not only possible, it's being done thousands of times every single day.
This is probably not germane to the list, so we should take the
troubleshooting process off-list. But I need to know what kind of files are
involved (Word, Pagemaker, whatever) what kind of mail system is being used
by the PCs, and what system software version (7.0, 6.0.8, 7.5.5, 7.6, etc.)
you're using on the Macs you want to read the files.

There's a generic way which will work, but it may be more than you require
and by giving me the requested information I may be able to simplify the
process further.

Here's the generic way. It requires both Mac groups have Stuffit (not an
onerous requirement). Have the contractor BinHex the file before attaching
and sending. (With Stuffit Lite 3.5, you'll find the BinHex->Encode command
under the "Translate" menu.) Then, when you get the file to the destination
Mac, use Stuffit again to decode the BinHex encoded file.

My guess would be either you're losing part of the file (such as the
resource fork) when handling it on a PC, or you're losing the file type and
creator code information when bringing it back onto the Mac. BinHex encoding
will help preserve both while in transit.

Computers are like children; they're at their best when they play nice with
each other.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224