Re: Insurance for Independent Contractors

Subject: Re: Insurance for Independent Contractors
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 20:07:54 -0500

I presume because Greg's eMail shows RPI.EDU, he is from the upstate New
York area, Albany in particular. In the state of New York, an independent
contractor can join a Chamber of Commerce and acquire health insurance from
them (Greg, call the Guilderland Chamber of Commerce--Mr. Jon Knorr,
518/456-6611). Also, in the Albany area, an independent contractor, like
Greg, can purchase a group health plan directly from Blue Cross Blue
Shield. Prices vary depending on single coverage, family, where purchased,
and so on.

Elsewhere in the country, the laws are different. I would consider calling
various organizations and associations and see if they offer coverage.
These can be found in the telephone book/yellow pages.

Hope this helps...

Dennis

At 07:37 PM 2/6/97 -0500, Greg Drew <drewg -at- RPI -dot- EDU> wrote:
>I am considering becoming an independent contractor/consultant, and have
>many questions. At the top of my list is health insurance. Working for a
>corporation, I get the benefit of good health insurance at a (fairly)
>reasonable price. However, if I go independent, I'm on my own. Are there
>any group plans available? Where can I find more info?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Greg Drew

>to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
>browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

Dennis Hays
The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
Telephone: (518) 477-6388