Re: Writers' Wish List

Subject: Re: Writers' Wish List
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:48:05 -0800

Nancy--
OK, this is just me and I'm pretty easy to work with...

I want a collegue. I want someone who will look at my
writing--structure, grammar, overall effectiveness--and provide
suggestions. This someone should be able to back up what they're
saying, just as I hope I can.

I don't want someone whose comments on word choices or writing style are
based on personal preference. I don't want comments backed up by "it
just sounds better this way."

I DON'T want someone who sees every suggestion as a power struggle, or
who cares just a little too much about the placement of a comma. I
don't want someone who gets obvious pleasure out of spotting other
people's mistakes.

I do want someone who complements my abilities. I've developed some
good editing skills, but I don't really enjoy (i.e., don't take care as
much as I should with) the nitty gritty, 5th-time-around grammar check.
I do want someone who cares about the overall product, who gives me a
measure of respect and demands the same in return. Personally, I'd like
to work with someone who also takes the initiative to learn new
things--ideas, software, techniques--and is interested in being a little
experimental, a little better than above average.

He/she maybe even shares with me delusions of grandeur that have nothing
to do with the lottery.