Moaning and groaning; Holy Wars; and Other Off-Topic Posts

Subject: Moaning and groaning; Holy Wars; and Other Off-Topic Posts
From: Michelle Nichols/VENTANA <Michelle_Nichols/VENTANA -dot- ITP -at- LGATE -dot- VMEDIA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:02:23 EDT

I realize I am adding fuel to the fires, but when people complain about moaning
and groaning, holy wars, and other off-topic posts, it is because they have hit
there limit on the topic at hand.

I am still subscribed to this list and do not get the digest form, mainly
because I miss too much when I get it in digest form. However, I find it very
frustrating that I have to hit the delete key on 75% of the posts, because they
are ranting, raving, or discussing the latest operating system holy war (go
OS/2! <g>).

There is so much good information on this list, that you miss it with all the
extra noise going on. It is not fair to say that the subject line can tell you
whether or not to read the post, because 75% of the time it cannot. I know
thatI have missed some good information in the past weeks, because my delete
key reaction has become somewhat automatic.

We just have to be willing to stop.... wait and watch..... and THINK.....
before we post. Being part of a community is being courteous to the other
members of the community. And, when one member of the community says, "Enough"
they are merely suggesting that they have reached there limit on the topic and
would like to move on. There's nothing saying that you can't take the
discussion off the list and do it via e-mail.....if something astounding comes
out of it, post it back to the list if it is worthwhile.

TTFN,
Michelle Corbin Nichols
Development Editor, Ventana Communications Group