Re: Non-Profit Writing

Subject: Re: Non-Profit Writing
From: Nancy McDonald-Kenworthy <akandnm -at- IWAYNET -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:45:38 -0500

Well, Paula, your post made me laugh tonight... and the ambiguity of your
subject line added to my reaction.
Yes, I've written for some non-profits, and my own "profit" suffered, as
well. The projects I've done for them have paid less, far and away so.
And I did it not for profit, er, well, not for much. I knew what kinds of
$$ they had, because I asked what kinds of resources they had, when they
had asked my fees. I mean, when they ask me how much I charge, I turn
around and ask them how much money they have. The non-profits have some
ethical agenda or other, and I cannot ignore that... usually I have my
agenda similar to theirs... so I don't feel badly because I make less
money... I just know that I have more than my own profit in mind when I do
such projects. I usually get 10-30% less for the non-profits. (and, she
whispered, she's done a couple for free... )

But I mix those in with the more profit-minded projects, simply because I
have to pay the rent, so to speak... It's a good blend... I get my own
social justice agenda going once in awhile, get a "fix" and feel mighty
proud after having done it, but then go over to the profit corp's for
awhile... (bills clamoring and so foth) and so it goes... good luck.
Nancy McDonald,
contract writer, and owner of
Athena's Pen... . dtp