brochure placement

Subject: brochure placement
From: elizabeth lambert <halle -at- COUGARNET -dot- BYU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:17:27 -0700

I am part of a student group which is putting together a brochure for an
on-campus service. We're trying to both inform people about the
service, and persuade them to use it. The brochure will essentially be
a folded piece of standard paper (8.5 by 11) with a three color graphic
and title on the front. We have information for the other three faces,
and our question is this: where should we put the most important
information? Will people flip the brochure over and read the back
first? Or will they open it first? In this case, will they read the
left or right face of the inside first? If anyone knows of any research
that's ever been done on such a thing, or has a strong opinion about how
we should do this, please respond to me directly.
Thanks!

Elizabeth Lambert
Brigham Young University
halle -at- cougarnet -dot- byu -dot- edu