Re: Copyright on the internet

Subject: Re: Copyright on the internet
From: The Ashrafs <ashrafs -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:54:20 EST

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:03:06 -0600 geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA writes:

> My opinion: I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on the
> Internet, but one of the commonly accepted underpinnings of
> copyright law is that the protected material must exist in
> permanent form (e.g., on paper). E-mail doesn't exist in

I believe the legalese usually sounds like "fixed in a tangible medium"
-- and just as cassette tape is good enough for songs being intellectual
property, floppy and hard disk [which are made of the same material] are
good enough for software -- and words.

> there are no clear legal precedents, so don't be the first
> person to establish one the hard way.

I would be careful with that blanket statement. There is an increasing
body of legal precedents. For example, CNN tells me Time or someone is
suing a news site that "re-packages" their "content" by presenting it in
frames.

By the way, the department at RPI that handles Tech Comm [Language,
Literature and Communication] has some material on the topic. I am
offline right now but you can find a link at www.rpi.edu/dept/llc/wwwllc

My tuppence 'orth.

Sabahat.