Re: "Display" vs. "Appear"

Subject: Re: "Display" vs. "Appear"
From: TIMMERMAN <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:44:53 CST

Hi All,

I am by far no computer expert but have helped many, many newbies with their
computer problems. Most of the people I have helped ask the same question when
they are presented with a statement worded like the following, "Click Add to
open the Add Patient window." Their question is always, "How do I know I want
to open the Add Patient Window?" and then they don't do anything because they
are afraid they will break something. For this reason, I prefer the following
wording, "Click Add. The Add Patient Window appears." This method separates
the command, the action required of the user, from the response, the reaction
provided by the computer. I also use this method for non-computer related
procedures.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov