Re: Is there a name for these?

Subject: Re: Is there a name for these?
From: Dave Whelan <agi259 -at- FREENET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:37:41 -0500

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Debbie Molinaro wrote:

> Is there a word to describe trade names that have become standards?
>
> For example, Kleenex, Coke, Aspirin, Xerox are often used to describe
> the entire class of products rather than the generic terms. (As in
> Kleenex = tissue, Coke = cola, Aspirin = A.S.A, Xerox = to copy)

Debbie:

It is my understanding that if a registered trademark becomes commonly
used as a "standard" it could lose its trademark status and thus its value.
This is why owners of trademarks do not allow writers to use
their property as you describe. Registered trademarks may only be used as
adjectives modifying a noun (e.g. Kleenex tissues, Xerox copies).

Regards,
Dave.