Re: E-mail or e-mail

Subject: Re: E-mail or e-mail
From: RJACOBSE -at- GPS -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:34:45 -0500

Diana,
As far as I know, there is no "rule" about it. I agree that since it isn't
a proper noun or a trade name, it doesn't need to be capitalized. I think
you can make your own decision on this one. For what it's worth, our
internal style guide says it should be "hyphenated, lowercase except when
it begins a sentence."

Does the programmer in question offer any justification for capitalizing
it?

Regards,
Roy Jacobsen
Editor
Great Plains Software
rjacobse -at- gps -dot- com
Date : 04/28/97 09:47 PM
To : TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc :

From : barkley @ ONR.COM

Subject : E-mail or e-mail

Is the *e* in e-mail upper or lower case ? I usually use lower case
because I didn't consider it a proper noun, but a programmer insists that I
capitalize it.

I didn't find anything in the Chicago Manual of Style (39th edition)or in
my employer's (a state agency)internal style guide.

You can reply to me directly, if you wish. Thanks !

Regards,
Diana Barkley
Tx. Dept. of Criminal Justice
Austin, TX
(512) 406-5579
barkley -at- onr -dot- com

~~
message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send
commands
Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search
and browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at ejray@