RFC1983 (Was E-mail or e-mail)

Subject: RFC1983 (Was E-mail or e-mail)
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:29:33 -0700

Ella M. Beale Peacock <epeacock -at- DFW -dot- NET> wrote:

>Hi All.. a question was asked:
>
>> Is the *e* in e-mail upper or lower case ? I usually use lower case
>> because I didn't consider it a proper noun, but a programmer insists
>> that I capitalize it.
>
>According to pg 18, RFC1983, Internet Glossary, published by the
>Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), April 1996. Correct form would
>be "email" unless starting a sentence then would be Sentence case as in:
>
>Email is a system that computer users for messaging.
>
>Otherwise should be lowercase and no hyphen.
>
>If you're not familiar with IETF, their the folks who set global
>standards for the internet. All of their docs and references can be
>found at:
>
> http://ds.internic.net/rfc/
>
>The Internet Glossary's url is
>
> http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1983.txt

I think this message is (unintentionally) misleading. Yes, the IETF
does set standards. RFC 1983 is not a standard. I quote:

"This memo provides information for the Internet community. This memo
does not specify an Internet standard of any kind."

And the bit about the capitalization, including the example, are from
Ella. They are, perhaps, implied by the text of the definition, but
never stated.

RFC 1983 represents the considered opinion of a small group of
professionals.

Just wanted to clear that up.