Re: Radical Idea

Subject: Re: Radical Idea
From: Jennifer Kraus <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:19:00 -0500

>> So, hypothetically speaking, would you as a tech writer enjoy a job
where you were doing technical writing, client training, and client
technical support? If the company grows larger and the opportunity to
split into separate disciplines arises, should we split and which
discipline(s) would you want to work in? <<

My current job position is primarily as tech writer, but I also do tech support on the phones from 4-5, and during peak times when our other 3 technical support staff get too busy. I'm also in charge of the web site and I'm presently working on a plan to revamp the process by which literature is created and reviewed. Oh, and I'm creating the first-ever company style guide. I love the variety and the ability to expand my skills in different directions, and I've particularly found that taking technical calls has helped me become more familiar with the products and has allowed me to view the installation and maintenance procedures from a customer's viewpoint, a great benefit when writing manuals. In some cases, I've been able to pinpoint specific sections of our literature that weak because of customer input. However, I have overwhelmed at times (which may also be due to the fact that this is my first "real" job). The key I've found is to be able to set very clear priorities, and to break down large projects into manageable chunks (like any other job, I'm sure). And also to be vocal about what I can and cannot do in certain periods of time. I think the key is finding a tech writer who is able to be mentally flexible...and she may not be the best grammarian or the person who's written a 500 page software manual (although she may be as well). My advice? If you can find a tech writer who used to work as wait staff or in customer service, snap them up. They can handle pressure, have great people skills, are used to doing 20 things at once, won't take mean callers personally, and will do it all with a smile (outwardly, at least). And don't discount new college graduates...of the tech writing group I went through classes with, some wanted to be "technical writers" in the most narrowly defined sense of the word, but many were busy learning HTML and Document design techniques and working as trainers for free campus computer classes, so they would have a chance at a position with a little more variety. College students are used to shifting gears from a technical editing class to required biology class, from Shakespeare to women's studies...and the ones that succeeded in classes and balanced some extra-curricular learning/working experiences are probably going to bring this abilities to the workplace, and will welcome the type of stimulation positions such as the one you are considering offer.

If your company grows, I think it will be natural for the all-purpose tech writers to specialize in certain areas...so when you're hiring, maybe try to find people with special interests in training, or technical support, so they can gain broad experience upfront, but who will probably naturally specialize in a certain area as time goes on.

Jennifer Kraus
Technical Writer, Web Wonk, Technical Support, Product Literature Revolutionary
(former waitress)
Ametek Water Filtration Systems
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com