Re: Technical Writing Books

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Books
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:55:06 -0400

Parks, Beverly wrote:
> I use "press". That's what you do with buttons, you press them. That is
> even the visual effect you get when you perform the action.

So how do you differentiate keyboard input vs. buttons on the screen?

That is, do you also say "Press the Enter key"? Or are you one of the
more violent types that uses "Hit" or "Strike"? (Just kidding...) ;-)

To me, reading the command "Click" tells my brain to "use my mouse to
move the pointer to the appropriate place on the screen - a button for
instance -- and click the left mouse button once." The term "click", in
the software documentation world, automatically implies using a mouse
(or non-keyboard input device?).

My US$.02 worth.
Kim Keegan | Information Developer
ISI Data Services / Intrepid Technology
keegan -at- explorers -dot- com or keegan -at- isidata-intrepid -dot- com

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: Re: Technical Writing Books
Next by Author: Re: Technical Writing Books
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical Writing Books
Next by Thread: Re: Technical Writing Books

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads